Tuesday 19 April 2011

Grand Hotel

Original trailer for "Grand Hotel" starring Greta Garbo and John Barrymore, 1932

But meanwhile, back in Scarborough ...



Winston Churchill once stayed here, and there is a plaque dedicated to Anne Bronte.

Actor and director Charles Laughton's parents were hoteliers in Scarborough, owning "The Victoria" and then "The Pavilion". Laughton moved to the U.S. and became a well regarded, although troubled actor, and married "Bride of Frankenstein", 1935, elegant Elsa Lanchester.



The river boat scene from Laughton's "Night of the Hunter", 1955, starring the delicious Robert Mitchum.

2 comments:

  1. Ah wow! I love The Grand Hotel (film). I'm obsessed with the spiral black and white floor. My dream is to one day live in grand Art Deco home with a hallway big enough for a floor just like it.

    I have never been to Scarborough but you are definitely selling it to me, it looks amazing... so much beautiful architecture.

    I hear via Ava that you might be coming to my house over the weekend? ( She is bunny siting for me) I really hope you like it! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelly-Marie - thank you for your comment.
    There's lots to see in S'bro, although it's not the most obvious holiday destination! Lots of charity shopping in nearby Filey.
    More on Scarborough to come.

    ReplyDelete